Saint-Denis – Keeper of French history
Saint-Denis is a Northern suburb of Paris. The suburb is named after the eponymous Abbey, which houses the tomb of the kings of France. This building is considered a gem of Gothic architecture in France.
The date of Foundation of the Abbey considered to be 625 a year, and its Cathedral is the oldest Gothic building. The main Cathedral of the Abbey erected on the grave of St. Dionysius, and dedicated to him. According to the legend, Dionysius came here after his execution, carrying the severed head in his hands.
In 1122 the post of Abbot in the monastery choose the Suger, who at the time was an adviser to Louis VI and VII. This person has also expanded the monastery grounds.
According to Suger, the Church should be the place where must freely penetrate the rays of divine light. In practice his idea begun in 1137, when construction began on the Gothic Church. Subsequently this had a huge impact on the development of Gothic in France.
When Sugaree was first used for the altar jog in the architectural scheme and made the rose window of the facade of the Basilica. But the main achievement became the Abbot stained glass Windows, are combined in cycles, which outlined the overall plot.
A new page in the difficult history of the monastery opens Continue reading
Sevastopol – Landscape monuments, Cave city, Cave
Sevastopol is situated on the territory of two ancient cities which are more than two and a half thousand years (Chersonesos, Balaklava).
Numerous caves, formed naturally, thousands of years used by ancient people. They probably found shelter by ancient people, and later the Cimmerians and the Tauri. The first known man-made structures beneath the earth became cave monasteries VII — IX centuries of our era.
From 1783 the construction of the city. Built buildings, docks, berths, roads and underground constructions simultaneously. The Navy needed secure warehouses and a powder magazine. Caves in the rocky banks of the Sevastopol bays was a perfect fit for use, they were deepened and widened, turning them into secure storage naval assets and ammunition.
The Crimean war 1853-1856 gg confirmed the need for underground structures. They were not only warehouses of food and ammunition, but also the perfect refuge for the population and personnel of the troops. By this time, the size of the dungeon exceeded twenty-five thousand square meters. In addition, both the warring sides was carried out so-called mine war. Opponents tried to lay the underground tunnels under fortifications Continue reading